Texas Title Blog

Texas Property Tax Appraisal Protests and Appeals

May 13, 2020
By: Nancy Schriedel

Texas Property Tax Appraisal Protests and Appeals

Under the following circumstances, Texas law requires county appraisal districts to send property owners a notice on April 1st of the market value of their home and how much tax they will have to pay based on the same tax rate as the previous year:

  • If the value of the property is higher than it was in the previous year;
  • If the value of the property is higher than the value that was given on a rendition;
  • If the property was not on the appraisal district’s records in the previous year; or
  • If an exemption is reduced or canceled for the current year.

The notice must set forth, among other things:

  • The taxing entities to be paid;
  • The appraised value of the property in the prior year;
  • An explanation of when and how you can protest the value, and
  • The date and place the Appraisal Review Board (“ARB”) will begin hearing protests.

According to the Texas Comptroller website, one of your most important rights as a taxpayer is your right to protest to ARB, and you may protest if you disagree with the appraisal district value or any of the appraisal district’s actions concerning your property. To preserve your right to protest to the ARB, you must file a notice of protest to the ARB by May 15th or later under certain circumstances.

Depending on the county appraisal district, there may be an informal meeting or hearing to present your evidence supporting your protest of the increased value. While the Texas Comptroller is prohibited from advising a taxpayer about a matter under protest, they do offer an online video guide explaining how to present your case before the ARB, and what to bring to the hearing and what to expect.

If you are dissatisfied with the ARB’s findings, you have the right to appeal the ARB’s decision. Depending on the facts and type of property, you may also be able to appeal to the state district court in the county in which your property is located, to an independent arbitrator, or to the State Office of Administrative Hearings (“SOAH”).

For more information, contact the Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts, Property Tax Assistance Division.

This is for informational purposes and is not a substitute for legal advice.


Authored by:

Nancy Schriedel

Nancy Schriedel, J.D., LL.M.
Chief Compliance and Legal Officer
Texas Title


Contact a Texas Title Representative
Texas Title